Preparing and Painting

Peppers on a Platter (c)2011Dora Sislian Themelis
 11x16 Watercolor


With the workshop weekend looming, I wanted to spend the day preparing myself and my stuff. We are to bring a portfolio of work. I've been throwing it around in my head which work to bring. The obvious thing would be to show recent pieces. Although I do work in other media, I guess I will bring the watercolors. And maybe my little pen and inks done while waiting at the allergist's office.

I printed out my artist's statement, such as it is. It's for my eyes only, but my eyes are pretty critical. It's a loosey goosey art language statement. In college, art majors needed to take English for Art Majors Only. They expected us to be able to discuss our work to regular people, as well as other artists. We wrote papers reviewing the masters works, museum pieces, and each other's work. It wasn't easy, but helped us to develop an art speak that normal people understood.

Every paper I wrote, my professor would ask if I wrote it. She'd say my language on paper was not the same thing that came out of my mouth. What could I say? I'm from Queens and what comes from my lips is not how I think or write. Ugh.

So yes, artist statement is ready. I also printed out the directions. Believe me, I'm not leaving home without a GPS thing.

I had a small bit of time yesterday and today, before getting involved in other things, to paint. Working from some photos I took a while ago I just went to it. Yes, I said from photos! No pencil, just paint. I didn't get a chance to take a photo at the twenty minute mark and what you see is well past that. I just wanted colors, shapes, and values. I was going to continue to add to the lower left corner, but I think it's balanced just as it is. Heavy with color on the upper right, and void of it at the lower left. Weird composition, but I'm going with it.

Besides, I'm out of time. Tomorrow is another day.

Comments

  1. I love this painting: the colors, the brushwork. I think you were right to leave the lower left alone--it adds a little pull ...
    Have a great time at your workshop (I'm off to one too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment Laura. Enjoy your workshop too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment